Electronics Policy *Updated 9-8-22
The P.S. 212 Electronics policy is fully aligned with Chancellor’s Regulations A-413, regarding the possession of and use of: cell phones/smart phones; laptops, Chromebooks, tablets, iPads, and other similar computing devices; and portable music and entertainment systems in schools, for example Apple Watch or smart watch.
- Students may use electronic devices such as an iPad, Chromebook, or laptop in school to complete their work. The device may only be used to complete schoolwork or an assessment as per the teacher’s directions. The device may not be used for unauthorized use, e.g., (chat rooms, gaming, social media, etc.)
- Students may bring their cell phones and smart watches to school; however, they must be stored in the student’s backpack, and turned off.
- Cell phones and smart watches are not permitted in restrooms, the cafeteria, hallways, stairwells, schoolyard, playground, or in the auditorium during arrival, dismissal, a performance, assembly, or on fieldtrips. They are only permitted in the student’s classroom, turned off, and placed in their backpack.
- Cell phones and smart watches are not permitted during the administration of any school quiz, test, or examination.
- Computing devices may not be turned on or used during the administration of any school quiz, test, or examination, except where such use has been explicitly authorized by the school, (e.g., i-Ready assessments, Envisions mathematics or RAZ-Kids) or is contained in an Individualized Education Program or Section 504 Accommodation Plan.
- Computing devices may not be used in restrooms, the cafeteria, hallways, stairwells, schoolyard, playground, or in the auditorium during arrival, dismissal, a performance, assembly, or on fieldtrips.
- Cell phones, smart watches, or computing devices must be off during school fire/evacuation drills or other emergency preparedness exercises.
- If a student is found to be using a cell phone, smart watch, or electronic device not as outlined in the policy, the device will be brought to the main office and kept in the safe until the parent or guardian can pick it up.
- Students who use cell phones, smart watches, computing devices, and/or portable music and entertainment systems in violation of the DOE’s Discipline Code, the school’s policy, Chancellor’s Regulation A-413, and/or the DOE’s Internet Acceptable Use and Safety Policy (“IAUSP”) will be subject to discipline in accordance with the guidance interventions and disciplinary responses set forth in the Discipline Code.